Apologies To Berlin – Part 1

Apologies to Berlin. My Berliner Weisse Style Beer shall go by the name

Hamburg Vergällen from this point forward.

Did you know the name Berliner Weisse is a protected name in Germany and is only allowed to be used on Berliner Weisse beers from Berlin. What I also found out was that the whole name thing is not really enforced, but I’m not taking any chances.

So this post is Part 1 of what I hope to be a 3 or 4 Part post that will end with my the completion of my first Sour (and have it be drinkable). 

I have been homebrewing for quite a few years now, but it wasn’t until recently that I even thought about brewing a sour. Actually, it really has only been the last 3 or so years that I have found sours that I really enjoy drinking. My earliest memories of any type of sour was Samual Adams Cranberry Lambic. Although I would not say it’s at the top of my list, I still have some fond memories of this Fall staple. 

Hamburg Vergällen 

  • Day 1 – Lacto Starter 

1 Qt. of Martinelli’s Apple Jucie

White Labs WLP667 Lactobacillus Delbruckii 

Combined both (no boil) in the apple juice jar, swirled to mix and capped with airlock. Kept the starter at 70+ degrees. I tried to keep the starter as warm as could, by keeping it in a cooler wrapped in a few towels and a heating bag, that I would stick in the microwave every so often.

 

 

 

 

Img_1560

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Day 2 – Yeast Starter

1/2 cup of DME

1 pint water

White Labs WLP011 European Ale Yeast

Boiled the DME and water for 15 minutes and cooler in a ice bath until temp fell to about 70 degrees. Combine yeast and wort mixture in a growler and capped with a stanitized foil “cap”

 

 

  • Day 3 – Brew Day

Let me start by saying this was not a stellar brew day. Rushing around, not fully prepared and it seemed I was behind during the whole brew.

First dumb move, I was not prepared to brew a 4-gallon batch.  Oh, I had enough supplies, but what I did not have was a way to measure 4 gallons of wort (plus boil off).  So I guessed…I mean “guesstimated”.

Since I was only doing a 15 minute boil, all I really needed was 4 1/2 gallons at the most.  Because of my lack of measurement devices and not wanting to run short, I pulled too much (hind sight).

I went with a 4 gallon batch because the only glass carboy I had available was a 5 gallon and I did not want to push the limits.

After the boil and cool down was completed, I proceed to fill the carboy. Lucky for me, I had already marked the 4 gallon spot with a sharpie. After getting to the 4 gallon mark I looked in the kettle and had easily 1-1/2 gallons of wort still in it.  So at that point I made the decision to up the batch size to 4-1/2 gallons (may end up as another dumb move). That all being said my OG and TG based on the receipe could be way off, but the numbers came in pretty reasonable.

4.5 lbs German Pilsner Malt

2 lbs Wheat Malt

White Labs WLP011 European Ale Yeast

15 – Minute Boil

1.25 oz Hallertau Hops pellet

45 – Minute Sparge

Pre Boil Gravity 1.026

Post Boil Gravity 1.030

With an OG of 1.030 it means my Mash Efficiency was around 60%. It’s sounds bad, but with only a 15-minute boil the efficiency goes out the window. 

Mash Schedule – Step Mash

10 minutes @ 123 degrees 6.5 qts of water

20 minutes @ 136 degrees 2 qts  Decoc & brought to a boil

45 minutes @ 146 degrees 2.70 qts of water

20 minutes @ 154 degrees 1.4 qts of water

 

Img_1563
Img_1568

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s